Eczema is already a huge pain to have to deal with, right? Isn’t is the absolute worst that the symptoms often get worse at night and interrupt or delay sleep? We all need a good night’s rest to keep up our energy, immune system, and to balance out stress. So why does eczema have to be so cruel to act up when all we want to do is fall blissfully asleep?
We’re sure you’ve tried everything too. Medications, wet wraps, medicated baths, and other methods are the most commonly used methods in an attempt to help people with eczema sleep undisturbed. But should you change tactics and try a natural remedy instead that could be much more effective than other forms of treatment? Keep reading to find out more!
Breaking Down What Is Eczema
Eczema, or dermatitis, is a skin condition that causes patches of itchiness, inflammation, swelling, and cracked skin. When eczema flares up at night, the discomfort can make it difficult to get to sleep. This sleep disruption is common, affecting almost 90% of adults with eczema. The condition causes difficulty sleeping in 83 percent of children with eczema, and this can significantly affect the quality of life for everyone.
Why does eczema flare up at night? Eczema symptoms may worsen at night, depending on several factors. Researchers are not sure what causes eczema, but various genetic and environmental factors may be involved. Eczema symptoms may feel worse at night for a few reasons, such as due to the body's sleep and wake cycles, and a person's temperature decreasing at night, which can make the skin feel itchy.
If a person has moisturized during the day, the effects may have worn off by night. People are more likely to scratch in their sleep and those afflicted with eczema tend to wake up a few times during the night without realizing they’ve been itching in their sleep. They may be scratching because they are too sleepy to remember to hold back. This can make the itchiness increase, which can interrupt sleep further. So, what can we do to keep eczema itching at night from occurring?
How to Prevent Eczema Itching at Night
One of the best ways to prevent nighttime eczema flare-ups is to avoid triggers before bed. Some triggers can include activities and materials. The following tips may help prevent eczema itching at night:
- Moisturize well before bed.
- Bathe at night.B athing regularly is important for keeping the skin hydrated and preventing infections. Always moisturize within 3 minutes of bathing to lock in hydration.
- Avoid harsh fabrics. Do not use sheets or pajamas made from fabrics that can irritate the skin, such as wool or polyester. Clothing and linens made from 100 percent cotton are gentler on the skin.
- Avoid allergens before bed. Many people with eczema also have allergies, and reactions can make eczema symptoms worse. It can help to stay away from common allergens, such as pet dander and pollen, at night.
- Wear gloves to bed. Making it more difficult to scratch can help control eczema itching at night. Some people find relief by keeping their fingernails short or wearing gloves to bed.
- Keep the bedroom cool.Sweating or just feeling hot can make the skin itchier.
- Get into a good sleep pattern. Go to sleep at the same time each night and make time for a relaxing activity, such as reading or meditation, before bed.
People with eczema and others who have sensitive skin should avoid the following, especially before bed:
- Soaps, lotions, and cosmetics that contain fragrances or dyes
- Household cleaners
- Dust mites
- Nickel and other metals
- Cigarette smoke
- High-stress situations
Some of these are avoidable, others are not. Balance is a huge principle in an eczema lifestyle, and with enough practice and trial and error, it is possible to achieve. However, if eczema is stopping you from sleeping, try something that is so simple, yet so effective and that is this: manuka honey. You heard that right.
Wild Naturals offers an eczema & psoriasis cream for this specific purpose and it helps relieve the irritated skin naturally! Not only does this manuka honey cream have ingredients that can reduce the symptoms and itch caused by eczema, but it can also greatly nourish and repair the skin from the damaging effects.
To discover the full potency and amazing results by using a natural treatment for eczema, visit the Wild Naturals online store today for all the details! You will sleep better and see a huge change in your skin like never before when you switch to Wild Naturals eczema products! A full night sleep awaits.