If you’ve never had scalp psoriasis, consider yourself lucky. Having raised, scaly, red patches on the top of your head can drive you to distraction. They can hurt and they can itch like crazy. Then there’s the worry about the condition spreading to other parts of your skin. Almost as frustrating as the condition itself is finding a shampoo for psoriasis, with a conditioner as well. It can be a game of trial and error, with most of the scores going in the error column, either because nothing improved or because the psoriasis worsened.
So, what do you do? You look to Mother Nature as much as you can. Chemical concoctions are just not a wise idea. More natural ingredients can be gentler and more effective. Especially look for Manuka honey in your shampoo.
Let’s help your search by identifying a few of the enemies and allies in psoriasis shampoos.
The Bad Guys
When it comes to soaps and shampoos, most commercial products are simply too harsh for the skin. They strip away too much. Your skin, especially your scalp, needs a healthy balance of vital nutrients and oils. Upsetting the balance can make psoriasis worse.The acid mantle – the thin protective layer at the outside of your skin – can be weakened by strong chemicals in many shampoos.
Here are ingredients to avoid in any shampoo and conditioner, but especially for scalp psoriasis:
- Oh, I can feel it stinging just thinking about it!
- Added fragrance.
- Propylene glycol. This is the stuff they put in electronic cigarettes. There’s a lot of debate about its effectiveness. Some studies claim it helps with psoriasis, but plenty of people also experience allergic reactions to it on the skin.
- Steer clear because they can irritate your scalp. Avoid ammonium lauryl sulfate and ammonium laureth sulfate.
Oh, for something more natural…
The Good Guys
There’s no shortage of internal or external factors that can impact your psoriasis negatively. Your shampoo should not be one of them. In order for a shampoo and conditioner to be effective against scalp psoriasis, look for the following:
- Manuka honey. Nature’s wonder skin treatment. So gentle, calming and with amazing anti-inflammatory properties.
- Aloe vera. Renowned for centuries as a soothing, regenerative skin treatment. Loaded with vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
- Cehami flower extract. Sheer relief from the pain and itching because it’s three times more effective than Aspirin as an analgesic.
- pH balanced at 5.5
- Every ingredient explained in plain language.
- Fragrance, dye and preservative free. Don’t risk further damage to your already vulnerable scalp and hair.
When you need relief for your irritated scalp, nature knows best. Steer well clear of chemical-laden products and turn to a psoriasis shampoo and conditioner made with gentle organic ingredients that really work.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Wild Naturals and a clickable link back to this page.