What you put on your skin doesn’t just stay at the surface. Our skin absorbs up to more than 50 percent of what we put on our skin. This is why it is vital to make sure the products you are using don’t include toxic chemicals. When these toxic chemicals are absorbed, health issues can occur such as infertility, birth defects, reproductive problems, cancer, and learning disabilities. While this can be shocking, all of these can be avoided to an extent by ensuring what you put on your skin isn’t toxic.
Ingredients To Avoid
There are several ingredients that you should know and be aware of when looking at new skin care products. Ingredients to look for and avoid include:
- Parabens: Normally, you will see ingredients such as methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben or propylparaben. They are pretty easy to spot on ingredient lists because the end of the ingredient will always say paraben in it. Parabens are used as preservatives and are used in deodorants and other skin care products.
- Triclosan: This is a synthetic antibacterial ingredient. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) registers it as a pesticide, posing risks to human health and environment.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): Used in 90 percent of personal care products that foam and can cause eye damage, depression, diarrhea, skin irritation, and even death.
- Phthalates: Found in several products, but not always listed on labels. It can cause damage to liver and kidneys, birth defects, and early breast development in boys and girls.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: Seen mostly in acne products and can be a possible tumor promoter. It is also toxic when inhaled and can cause eye, skin, and respiratory irritation.
- Polyethylene Glycol: This ingredient is in practically everything, including personal care, baby care, and sunscreens.
- DMDM Hydantoin and Imidazolidinyl: Preservatives that release formaldehyde. These can cause joint pain, skin reactions, ear infections, chronic fatigue, cancer, dizziness, and insomnia.
- Sunscreen chemicals: Chemicals such as avobenzone, benzophenone, and methoxycinnamate are commonly used and are known free radical generators. These can cause damage to DNA and can lead to cancer.
- Diethanolamine (DEA), Monoethanolamine (MEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA): Ingredients that create foam. They are a skin and eye irritant and can cause dermatitis. These ingredients are easily absorbed through the skin and can accumulate in body organs and the brain.
While it is almost impossible to avoid every single toxic and synthetic chemical, it is fairly easy to limit the amount of toxins you expose to your body. You can do this by always looking at ingredient lists and making sure they have very little to no toxic chemicals. Additionally, eating clean, drinking plenty of water, and finding products that are natural or organic can help avoid these toxic chemicals from entering the body. Make sure to educate yourself and research a product before you buy it to ensure it will not pose any health risks for you down the road.
WHY WILD NATURALS?
At Wild Naturals, we have a vision to create products that really work, while staying true to natural and healthy ingredients. We do this by formulating a product that won’t quickly break down and expire, has proper pH balance, and accomplishes the intended result. We have easy to read ingredients so our customers always know what it is that they are buying. We went one step further and organize and explain our ingredients without using confusing terms. If you’re interested in natural or organic skin care products that truly work and have ingredients that you’re familiar with, check out our products and see for yourself how we’re different from the rest.